Thursday, October 18, 2012

EMMDEV 2012-10-18 [Proverbs revisited] Our attitudes to the poor

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker
but whoever is kind to the needy honours God Proverbs14:31

This is one of those bits of the Bible that makes me squirm. There is no argument about it: I have my own home, two cars, a fridge, a stove, a microwave, and more - I am wealthy!

There are many who are not. We can go into the reasons, but that doesn't change anything. What matters is how I view those who have less than I do and how I treat them. If we are all made in the image of God, then I am mocking God when I treat the poor in a manner that robs them of their dignity.

How do you treat the person handing out pamphlets at the traffic-lights? He or she is actually trying to earn an honest living - but I see many people staring ahead as if these people don't even exist. This is a denial of basic human dignity and in one way or another we have all been guilty of it.

I once saw a young man make the shape of a gun with his fingers and "shoot" (with sound effects) the little boy who was begging for money. What damage must have been done in the heart of that little boy! (And to my shame I said and did nothing!)

We don't always have to give. Indiscriminate giving to those who beg often creates dependency, reinforces alcoholism and drug abuse, but even when we refuse, let us do it in a manner that acknowledges the humanity of the person and gives them some dignity - this honours God.

---
--------------------------
Theo Groeneveld theo@emmanuel.org.za
You can see past EmmDevs at http://emmdev.blogspot.com/