Friday, March 11, 2016

EmmDev 2016-03-11 [Lent 2016] Understanding Jesus' Temptations (4)

Understanding Jesus' Temptations (4)

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendour. 9 "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."
10 Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.' "      (Matthew4:8-10)
(I'm going to stretch a premise this morning - you may or may not agree with me, but bear with me, I think it is a valid and helpful interpretation...)

I wonder if Satan was talking about "kingdoms of things" or "kingdoms of people"? Did he show Jesus palaces and cities or did he show him faces of people from all over the world?

What if this temptation was not so much about earthly power but about the real stakes of Jesus Mission:

You and me.

The Psalmist affirmed "The earth is the Lord's and everything in it" but Satan is described in Ephesians 2 as "the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient."
The earth is not Satan's to give, but people are.
I don't think the wealth of earth would tempt Jesus too much - He created the galaxies! But people created in His image, caught in sin and captives of Satan - that's a different matter entirely!

Could it be that Satan was saying: "Don't go to the cross - if you want these people then just bow down to me..."?

It's a temptation to take a shortcut - avoid the cross - deviate from the Father's plan - and the bait is us - people who Jesus came to seek and save - and all Jesus would have to do is bow His knee to Satan.

The consequences would have been disastrous.

The choice Jesus makes is a costly one - worshipping the Father meant the cross...

CHALLENGE: Take some time to imagine the temptation in this way and consider the clarity of focus and intensity of love that kept Jesus on track. And give thanks....!