Friday, March 18, 2016

EmmDev 2016-03-18 [Lent 2016] John's Gethsemane

John's Gethsemane

"Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name!"
Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and will glorify it again."      (John12:27)
John's Gospel doesn't have the Gethsemane scene where Jesus prays that the cup of suffering be taken away but commits Himself to do the will of the Father.

Instead, John records something that happened at the Triumphal Entry when Philip and Andrew brought some Greek seekers to Jesus which prompts Jesus to talk about the cross and how He would be "lifted up" on the cross.

And although the cross troubles Jesus' heart greatly, He is resolute in His purpose - this is the very reason He came! And so He prays: "Father glorify Your name."

"Glorify Your name."
"In me."
"In my words and in my actions."
"As I lay down my life to do Your will."

The significance of this moment is underscored by the Father's words from heaven - God's glory will be revealed in Jesus.
Crucifixion will end in Resurrection.
Death will be overcome.
Sin will be forgiven.
Satan will be defeated.

Lent is a time in which we quieten our lives and our souls to draw near to God and discern His will. It's about beginning to pray the same prayer as Jesus did: "Father, glorify your name!"

We don't have to go to the cross - Jesus has already done that.
But our lives (ransomed by Jesus) can be used in His service.

CHALLENGE: Try to pray "Father, glorify your name!" throughout today