Wednesday, June 12, 2019

EmmDev 2019-06-12 [Keeping Going...] The God who keeps me going


The God who keeps me going

We've reached the end of Psalm 18 today. This has been like a series-within-a-series.
Our series is "Keeping Going" and this Psalm is ultimately about the God who keeps us going.
  • We started with David's declaration of love and devotion:
    "I love you, O LORD, my strength."
  • Then we saw the descriptors that he used for God:
    "God my Strength, Rock Fortress, Deliverer, Rock Mountain, Shield, Horn, Salvation and Stronghold...
  • And in spite of the magnitude of David's trouble,
    the Lord "delighted" in him and came "roaring" to his rescue
  • The Lord is just and righteous
    "To the faithful you show yourself faithful..."
  • The Lord strengthens us
    "You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me"
  • He gives us victory over evil
    "You have delivered me from the attacks of the people..."
    (Yesterday we struggled with the "blood-thirstyness" of this section, but let's remember that God's ultimate victory over evil was achieved by Jesus' sacrifice on the cross - violence and hatred defeated by love.)

Keeping going is not a matter of a stiff upper lip or sheer determination. It is a matter of looking up to the One who keeps us going and, when we arrive safe at our destination, we won't be saying "Look how far I have come" we'll be saying (or maybe singing) "Thank You Lord for getting me here."

As you read today's reading you will be reminded that, in the midst of our troubles, our Lord lives and that we can turn our eyes to the One who is exalted above our troubles and saves us. He deals with evil and rescues us from our enemies. As you read you'll be able to throw your head back and praise the One who has shown you His unfailing kindness.

The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock!
Exalted be God my Saviour!
47 He is the God who avenges me,
who subdues nations under me,
48 who saves me from my enemies.
You exalted me above my foes;
from violent men you rescued me.
49 Therefore I will praise you among the nations, O LORD;
I will sing praises to your name.
50 He gives his king great victories;
he shows unfailing kindness to his anointed,
to David and his descendants forever.      (Psalms18:46-50)