Tuesday, June 4, 2019

EmmDev 2019-06-04 [Keeping Going...] Absolute Assurance: Looking back to look forward


Absolute Assurance: Looking back to look forward

We're going to spend this week looking at Psalm 18. Today we look at the inscription and the first section

It's a song that is also quoted in 2 Samuel 22. The inscription reads: "For the director of music. Of David the servant of the LORD. He sang to the LORD the words of this song when the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul..."

When we're struggling to keep going, it can be helpful to look back before we look forward. When we reflect on how God has been with us in the past, it helps us to look forward. It's no surprise, however, to discover that looking back in this way leads to love and praise.

This psalm is an epic expression of faith, praise and love. As we read, it the depth of passion and the richness of the imagery is gripping:

  • David is drawn in love and devotion to the God who has saved him
  • David is in awe of what God has done
  • David is expressive in his thanksgiving and praise.
    This expressiveness is a crystal clear sign of his deep appreciation and love.

Look at his descriptors:
God is his strength,
his rock as in fortress,
his deliverer
his rock as in a mountain cave of refuge, unshakeable and secure
his shield and horn (implies strength) of salvation
and stronghold (imagine a fortress on a mountain)

Then he makes the statement that is the heart of the Psalm:
"I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise
     and I am saved from my enemies.

This section ends with a beautiful description of the David's plight and God's rescue:

  • He was entangled by the cords of death and the grave.
  • Torrents of destruction and snares of death overwhelmed and ensnared him
  • He was in distress and called for help
    And God heard him.

Has God rescued you and delivered you?
Read the first part of this psalm and use it as your thanksgiving and praise.

1 I love you, O LORD, my strength.
2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
3 I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise,
and I am saved from my enemies.
4 The cords of death entangled me;
the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
5 The cords of the grave coiled around me;
the snares of death confronted me.
6 In my distress I called to the LORD;
I cried to my God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice;
my cry came before him, into his ears.      (Psalms18:1-6)