Tuesday, July 23, 2019

EmmDev 2019-07-23 [A Life of Thanksgiving] Saved and Called

Saved and Called

If I were ever to have an argument with the great Apostle Paul, it would be about a statement he makes in our passage for today...
Paul is full of thanks to the God who saved him and appointed him to His service. In his explanation of this, Paul calls himself "the worst of sinners."
I think many of us would argue that maybe we ourselves are worthy of this title!

But Paul doesn't dwell on his sin, he dwells on the Saviour:
Look at how He explains it:
  • "He has given me strength" (in other words, I did not have enough!)
  • "He considered me faithful" (Paul did not prove himself) God imputed (planted/drew out) faithfulness in Paul.
  • "Even though was I a terrible person" (Blasphemer, Persecutor and Violent)
  • "I was shown mercy" (The passive voice implies that Paul was a recipient - in spite of ignorance and unbelief - of mercy that he did not earn.)
  • "Grace was poured out abundantly" (Along with faith and love.)
In the second part Paul is saying "You can bank on the fact that:
  • Jesus saves sinners
  • I'm a big sinner
  • and so this proves that Jesus is patient
  • and generous in giving eternal life
  • to us if we believe"
If I really were to have that argument with Paul, I think he'd say: "It doesn't really matter who the bigger sinner is, what matters most is that God's forgiveness is even bigger than all our sins." The last verse in our reading is a doxology (an outpouring of praise and thanks).

Read our passage below and allow yourself to be caught up in the great joy of His forgiveness and love!
And give thanks!

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to His service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.      (1Timothy1:12-17)