Thursday, July 25, 2019

EmmDev 2019-07-25 [A Life of Thanksgiving] Changing Perspective

   

Changing Perspective

Is the current wave of bad news, corruption and crime getting you down? Yesterday on the radio, the talk-show host invited people to phone in and talk about what they wanted a vacation from, because, (and she said this many times) "We are so depressed, discouraged and really really tired". People phoned in wanting a vacation from traffic, tough jobs, job-searching, crime, corruption, politicians, high costs, tiredness and discouragement.

In Psalm 28 David also expressed his need for a vacation: He felt he was like those going to the pit. He needed to cry for mercy and call for help. He was exhausted by wicked people who "speak cordially, but harbour malice in their hearts and show no regard for the works of the Lord." David longed for them to reap the rewards of what they sowed, and you sense his frustration at the injustice of their ongoing evil.

The turning point of the Psalm is not the moment that evil is dealt with, but the relief of knowing that God had heard him. The seventh verse contains this beautiful parallelism:
The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy
and I will give thanks to him in song.


In these four lines we have a fact, a decision, a consequence and another decision.
The fact is that the LORD is our strength and shield. This truth is greater than the evil and pain in our lives. The decision David makes is to trust in the Lord. The consequence is that David is helped to the extent that his "heart leaps for joy". This leads to his second decision - to offer praise in song.

To give thanks is to shift our perspective. To give thanks in tough times only happens when we have turned our heads away from the realities that vex us and turn our faces to One who is greater. And then our need to sing crowds out the need to whine.

If you need a vacation from the "stuff" that's vexing you, take a read below...

To you I call, O LORD my Rock;
do not turn a deaf ear to me.
For if you remain silent,
I will be like those who have gone down to the pit.
2 Hear my cry for mercy
as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands
toward your Most Holy Place.3 Do not drag me away with the wicked,
with those who do evil,
who speak cordially with their neighbors
but harbor malice in their hearts.
4 Repay them for their deeds
and for their evil work;
repay them for what their hands have done
and bring back upon them what they deserve.
5 Since they show no regard for the works of the LORD
and what his hands have done,
he will tear them down
and never build them up again.
6 Praise be to the LORD,
for he has heard my cry for mercy.
7 The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy
and I will give thanks to him in song.

8 The LORD is the strength of his people,
a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.
9 Save your people and bless your inheritance;
be their shepherd and carry them forever.      (Psalms28:6-7)