Wednesday, July 15, 2020

EmmDev 2020-07-15 [Snapshots of Jesus.] Reassuring


Reassuring

I have a theory about Thomas:

Although many call him "doubting Thomas", the other references to Thomas in the New Testament reveal him as someone with courage (he urged the rest of the disciples to follow Jesus even if they had to die with Him) and as someone who asked penetrating and acute questions.

So why did he have such "doubts?" John records the following:
Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."
 
The name Didymus means "twin." I can't help but wonder if something terrible might have happened to Thomas' twin. When Jesus died on the cross, it may have caused all sorts of horrible memories to return for Thomas. Questions about pain, death and the meaning of life.

Thomas was rattled.

Jesus is gentle with Thomas. He doesn't rebuke him - but invites him to see the reality of the resurrection in the context of the cross-scars.

Thomas is transformed. He finally has an answer for pain - Jesus has been there and has returned. Jesus knows our broken hearts and our broken lives. Jesus has suffered and He is alive. Jesus brings a real answer - not a cheap platitude - to the problem of pain. And Thomas offers us the New Testament's most powerful creed: "MY Lord and MY God!"

FLASHBULB: Jesus compassionately reaching out to Thomas with those horribly scarred hands offering him comfort in the midst of his pain: "Stop doubting (stop struggling and suffering) and believe (hope again!)"


Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"      (John20:27-28)