Thursday, June 9, 2022

EmmDev 2022-06-09 [Spiritual Growth] Prayer is like breathing

Prayer is like breathing

My wife, Brenda, and I do lots together. Because I do a lot of work from my "home office" we have many days where we work side by side and share the ups and downs of each day. We were able to communicate constantly with words, grunts, smiles, signs, and expressions. In fact, we actually say very little - it just isn't necessary.

Prayer can be like this: If we carry with us a deep sensitivity to and awareness of God's presence, we will be able to adopt an attitude of communication where we will be able to pray continually

When I get this right, then my "prayers" sound something like this: (Driving in the car) "What a beautiful morning Lord - thank you" (later whilst looking around) "Gosh, Lord, the lady in the car over there is crying - please would you be with her." Arriving at the church: "There's a lot to do today Lord, please give me the energy I need!" Faced with a pile of work: "Groan! You gotta help me Lord!"

Joy and Gratitude are both important attitudes and I don't think that it is an accident that Paul sandwiched Prayer between them. I think each day can be a stream of communication between us and our ever-present God - a stream consisting of joy, prayer and gratitude. And I think you'll find that the words don't matter much.

Be joyful always. Pray continually. Give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (1Thessalonians5:16-18)