Thursday, October 20, 2022

EmmDev 2022-10-20 [Month of Mission 2022] A Lukewarm Church

A Lukewarm Church

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm---neither hot nor cold---I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.  Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." (Revelation3:14-22)
How will you rate your church or your congregation? The letter to the church at Laodicea draws upon some notable characteristics of any city church. With so much activity and with us living in a secular society, where Sunday, the day of the Lord, has so much to offer it is easy to fall into this category of a lukewarm Church.

Laodicea's trading status and industry resulted in them living busy lives. They knew about the Lord of the Church, but their business kept them from a sincere faith in the Lord. Is this not typical of most Churches? Where we go through the motions of religious living, keeping the daily running of the Church's administration going, maintenance, upkeep of our properties and having a sound bank balance, but we forget that the we should be engaging our members in true discipleship. If we fail to prepare disciples, we will always have churches and congregants who go through the motions of religious living.

The majority of our members are happy to know they have a church where they are on the books, where they go occasionally, and leaving the rest to the minister and the faithful members.

The tragedy of Laodicea that it was convinced of its own wealth and totally blind to its own poverty! They were smart and self-sufficient and under the impression that they did great. Its obsession with wealth had diluted its prophetic voice. In fact it had surrendered its prophetic voice to materialism. It became a lifeless and uncaring church, so much so that it did not even recognise its own sad condition! Worst of all the Lord was outside the church trying to get in! It excluded even the Lord of the church!

Let us be watchful and pray that we do not end up like the Church in Laodicea!
---------------------------
Hendry Fortuin seconded minister to the South African Police Service within the Presbytery of the Western Cape. Currently I also serve as Interim Moderator of the Atlantis United Church and Retreat Presbyterian Church. Married to Brielda.