Thursday, September 7, 2023

EmmDev 2023-09-08 [God says you are...] Forgiven

Forgiven

(Apologies for the missed EmmDev yesterday)

The LORD is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse,
nor will He harbour His anger forever;
He does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is His love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
so far has He removed our transgressions from us. (Psalms103:8-12)

I've been preaching through the Apostle's Creed on Sunday Mornings...
This Sunday I will be preaching on.... (you guessed it!) ... the Forgiveness of sins.
And this is the last title in this mini-series on what God says about us...

Who are we? You and I are Forgiven!

This is so profound:
If you think of the list we have worked through so far, it's quite touching:
God says we are:
- Unique: knitted together by Him
- Special: with a life of good works to do
- Lovely: in the sense that our lives shine with His salvation
- Precious: because He bought us with His life-blood
- Strong: with His power working in us
- Chosen: He came to us before we came to Him.

BUT, having read this beautiful list, we can knock it aside with one thought:
"But I'm a sinful mess! This can't be me! I'm broken, dirty and messed up. I'm a failure.
This might be true for someone else, but not for me!"

And God says: "It's OK - I've got you - you're forgiven"
"You can be Unique, Special, Lovely, Precious, Strong and Chosen BECAUSE I have forgiven you!"

"Your sin was a problem. I'm a Holy and Righteous God.
And your sin made me angry - not in a tantrum way - but because I could see the harm it did.
But my love is greater than your sin.
And so I removed your sin - I paid a great price, and your sin is gone!"
(East and West never meet - they're not even "poles apart!")

Who are you?
You are Unique, Special, Lovely, Precious, Strong and Chosen because He has Forgiven you!

So have an awesome weekend and join us on Sunday at church or online to explore this beautiful truth even further!
------------------------------------------------------
(That brings us to the end of the series, I hope you found it meaningful!)