Wednesday, September 6, 2023

EmmDev 2023-09-06 [God says you are...] Chosen

Chosen

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. (John15:13-16)
I remember listening to a Messianic Jew who asked: "Why did God chooooose to uuuuse the Jeeews?"
He went on to say that there was no other reason than Grace.

Why are we chosen by Jesus?
Is it because of our talents, our good looks, our bright intellects?
None of the above I'm afraid.
We didn't earn His love and He doesn't owe us His love.

That's why the word "friends" is so important in this passage.
Someone once said: "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves."
The Bible uses a number of ways to describe our relationship with God.
We are His Children, His Friends, His People, His Beloved, His Flock and so many, many, many more.

But to be "Chosen" tops the list!

In His first letter John puts it even more beautifully:
This is how God showed His love among us:
He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him.
This is love:
not that we loved God, but that He loved us
and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
(1John4:9-10)

Wow! We are chosen!
Out of love - not on merit - but out of pure, incredible, amazing LOVE.