Friday, September 29, 2023

EmmDev 2023-09-29 [Faithful Perseverance] Finish Well!

Finish Well!

[Apologies for the missed EmmDev yesterday...]
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day---and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2Timothy4:7-8)

We think this is the last letter Paul wrote before he was beheaded for his faith.

It's a beautiful passionate letter in which Paul urges his protege Timothy to be faithful in love for God and service for the church.

Paul has persevered much. We read of his exploits in 2Corinthians11: "Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness."

I think we can rightly conclude that Paul faithfully persevered!
Paul summarises faithful perseverance in ways:
- I fought the fight - Endured opposition and stayed strong
- I finished the race - I kept going (it wasn't about winning but finishing)
- I kept the faith - I kept my eyes on Jesus - the Author and Perfecter of my faith (Heb12:1-3)

And He is excited - not so much about the crown he will receive - but about meeting Jesus who he has longed for.

It's my prayer that we will be like Paul - enduring opposition, keeping going, keeping the faith and that all of this will be motivated by the same longing we see in Paul: Longing to meet Jesus and hear Him say: "Well done, good and faithful servant!"
=============================================================
On Monday we will start with our Denomination's "Month of Mission". This year the theme is "The Five Keys of Discipleship." Our devotions will be written by a variety of ministers from South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia. I hope you enjoy it!