Wednesday, June 12, 2024

EmmDev 2024-06-12 [The Discipleship Journey] Discipleship, even in the OT

Discipleship, even in the OT

I love the consistency and congruency of the Scriptures.
In the New Testament, James uses the image of our faith being like refined Gold.
In the Old Testament Job, Psalms, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Zechariah and Malachi all describe God journeying with us refining our faith like silver or gold.

Here's a beautiful passage from Job, who in the process of protesting his innocence, talks about his journey of being refined (discipled) by God.

But He knows the way that I take;
when He has tested me, I will come forth as gold.
My feet have closely followed His steps;
I have kept to His way without turning aside.
I have not departed from the commands of His lips;
I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my daily bread. (Job23:10-12)

There are such beautiful images in these three couplets:

  • God is interested in the way I take. The decisions I make, the paths I choose. These matter to Him because He cares about me. God tests (refines) us. The Hebrew word for "test" is the same as in Psalm 139 "Search me O God and see if there is any wicked way in me and lead me in the way everlasting." God doesn't test us to fail us, He tests us to remove the junk. The image James uses is melted gold where the heavy gold sinks to the bottom and all the impurities float to the top so that they can be scooped off by the Refiner.
  • Job has tried to follow in God's steps. He didn't have the example of Jesus, but he had God's Law and God's Word. In this middle couplet Job is talking about his feet - where his actions are leading.
  • In the last couplet he is talking about his attitude towards God's commands: I have not departed from them, I have treasured them more than daily bread. Does that sound familiar? Remember what Jesus said about "Not living on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."
And so there we have it.
Another beautiful picture of discipleship.
- It's a road to walk
- God refines us because He wants the best for us
- We follow in His steps
- And we prioritise His Word and Commands in our hearts and actions