Wednesday, August 14, 2024

EmmDev 2024-08-14 [The Discipleship Journey] A good example

A good example

I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel. I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. And I am confident in the Lord that I myself will come soon. (Philippians2:19-24)
Timothy is a good example for us to learn from:

When Paul had been disappointed by many others, Timothy came through as one who faithfully stood by Paul. We're not told of Timothy's level of education, his qualifications, or his business experience. What we have is a reference to his character and nature, and in this sense Timothy sets an example for us to follow.

How do you compare to Timothy? Compare the points below:

  • He was genuinely interested in others.
  • He got practically involved.
  • It was obvious to all that Jesus came first in his life, even if that meant paying the price.
    (For Timothy the choice between sleeping late and going to church was obvious!!!)
  • Timothy did not have to convince people of his integrity - his actions were the testimony!
    He had proved himself.
  • He was willing to go wherever Paul needed him.
Proven servant-heart, genuine concern, Christ-focus, action - not talk and a willing heart.
These are the hallmarks of a faithful servant of God.

How do you rate?