Friday, August 30, 2024

EmmDev 2024-08-30 [The Discipleship Journey] A Disciple's Prayer

A Disciple's Prayer

Psalm 23 - A psalm of David.
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters,
He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for His name's sake.

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for You are with me;
Your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever. (Psalms23:1-6)

David's prayer in Psalm 23 reveals the heart of a disciple: a follower who finds everything in the Shepherd. Long before Jesus called His disciples, David understood what it means to be a disciple: to follow the voice of the One who leads, provides, and protects.

The role of a shepherd in ancient Palestine wasn't about driving the sheep from behind but leading them from the front. The sheep learned to trust the shepherd, to follow where he led, and to rest in his provision. This is the heart of discipleship: Following Christ, our Good Shepherd. It's not just about receiving His blessings; it's about pursuing His path and letting Him guide us.

Discipleship is a journey, and along the way, there are green pastures and quiet waters, moments of deep soul restoration, and comfort in the darkest valleys. But these are not the ultimate goal - they are the blessings that come from following the Shepherd. The focus is on Him, not the benefits.

As disciples, we don't lead ourselves. We don't forge our own paths. We follow. And in that following, we find everything we need: provision, protection, abundance, and ultimately, a home in the house of the Lord forever.

Our calling as disciples is simple: to be sheep who trust the Shepherd, knowing that wherever He leads, it is for our good and for His glory.
--------------------------------------
This brings us to the end of our series on Discipleship.
I hope you have found it meaningful and that it has helped you to grow spiritually.
Please take a moment to reflect on the series and, if you have time, drop me a note and share what you have learned.
Next week I'll start a short series on "Seasons of the Soul."