Wednesday, August 24, 2022

EmmDev 2022-08-24 [Attributes and Names of God] Yahweh Roi (Shepherd)

Yahweh Roi (Shepherd)

Today's name for God is also one of His key attributes.
The LORD - The "I AM" of Israel is also our Shepherd.

The "Roi" of Ps.23 should not be confused with the "Roi" of Genesis 16:13. Although they look the same in English, they are spelt differently in Hebrew (one has an "Aleph" while the other has an "Ayin" as the silent consonant in the middle). One is a Shepherd, the other is "the One who sees". (We'll come back to the "God who sees.")

Although "Yahweh Roi" is found only once in the OT, namely here in Psalm 23, the theme and motif saturates both the Old and New Testament. It is an important motif and there are significant nuances. Palestinian shepherds lead their sheep, they don't drive them. They are not ranch hands with whips and brands, they are shepherds with a staff to drive off enemies and a crook to lift a stuck sheep out of a tight spot. They anoint with oil for healing and to drive off ticks and bugs. They lead their sheep to pasture and safety, often through the difficult terrain of fear, darkness and death.

The Good Shepherd, according to the images we find in Scripture:
- Lays down His life for the sheep
- Has a voice that the sheep know and trust
- Leads the the sheep safely
- Protects the sheep (even lying in the kraal doorway to prevent predators)
- Gently leads those who have young
- and so much more.

Take a moment to read the beautiful Psalm below and reflect on how God has shepherded you...

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever. (Psalms23:1-6)