Tuesday, August 30, 2022

EmmDev 2022-08-30 [Attributes and Names of God] Omniscient

Omniscient

God knows.
He knows everything.

That's pretty mind-bending!
The Psalmist recognises it: "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain."

We can't understand it, but we believe it.
-He knows our thoughts, our words and our actions.
-He knows our plans and our history.
-He knows our boundaries and limits - He hems us in.

Some commentators suggest that there is even a hint of frustration at being so thoroughly known.
If that is the case, the Psalmist, David, gets over himself, because at the end of the Psalm he opens himself to God's full knowledge:
"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts."

A God who does not know fully can be surprised.
A God who does not know fully is limited.
A God who does not know fully can't see clearly.

And so we believe that He is God and that He knows all.
We also believe that His knowledge is for our greater good and not to leave us exposed.
His all-knowing is also all-loving.
He knows us and loves us and sent His Son for us.

O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
You perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
You are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue You know it completely, O LORD.
You hem me in--behind and before;
You have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. (Psalms139:1-6)