Wednesday, August 23, 2023

EmmDev 2023-08-23 [Under Construction: God is working in me] Immeasurably More

Immeasurably More

Ephesians is a beautiful letter. I call it the "Grand Canyon" of the faith.
There are many spectacular moments:
  • The incredible eleven verse but one sentence prayer about our blessings in Christ in ch.1
  • The amazing gospel overview in ch.2
  • The stunning picture of the church in ch.4
  • The challenging picture of Christian living in ch.5
  • The recognition of the spiritual war we are in and the armour of God in ch.6
But, in my mind, the most spectacular moment is in ch.3 when Paul prays that God would help us understand the love of God!

Think about it: God's love is so amazing and awesome that we are unable to grasp it. And so Paul prays that God's Spirit will help us grasp how wide, long, high and deep is the love of God.

But that's not even the best moment! Here's how Paul ends that prayer:

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more
than all we ask or imagine,
according to His power that is at work within us,
to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus
throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
(Ephesians3:30-21)

Here are the core-truths:

1. God's power is working in us.
2. He is able to do immeasurably more than all we can
- ask
- or (even) imagine
3. All the glory goes to Him!

One of the things I have been struggling with as I have been writing these devotions is that the sheer number of passages that talk about God's working in me is incredible. I almost feel guilty when I find yet another promise and send it to you, because, sometimes, when we repeat an amazing truth too many times, it becomes commonplace and we take it for granted.

I also worry that, in spite of these incredible promises, Christians often live defeated and lacklustre lives. I wondered whether I needed to be more practical, talking about how to "unleash God's power working in us." The problem I have is that I don't find any recipes and there's also the danger that we will rush straight to the results ("How can I move mountains?") when we need to be in awe and wonder around the God who works in us.

So today's passage helps me...
It reminds me of the high-wide-deep-long love of God.
And that His power is not impersonal like Popeye's Spinach or Asterix's Magic Potion
- it's in the love relationship we have with Him.