Tuesday, August 29, 2023

EmmDev 2023-08-29 [God says you are...] Unique

Unique

This short series was inspired by the poster you see here.

One of my mentors in ministry is Prof Malan Nel who is a Dutch Reformed Minister and emeritus lecturer at Pretoria University and founder of the Center for Contextual Ministry. In his course, Building the Local Church, he taught us that one of the first priorities for a pastor must be to remind Congregations of who they are in Christ.

In these seven devotions we'll touch just the tip of that wonderful iceberg...

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be. (Psalms139:13-16)

Our son, Caleb, arrived two days past his due date. They were the longest days in his mom's life! A wise voice in our circle of family gently said: "God is still casting off..."

Psalm 139 is a much beloved Psalm.
It reflects on the intimate connection between God and each individual He has created.

The Psalm starts with the Psalmist talking about God's knowledge of him and God's presence in his life. Then he reflects on the idea that each of us is uniquely knit together in the womb and that God plans our days and writes them in His book.

What does this mean?
1. We are not accidents.
2. We are uniquely formed and God is intimately involved in who we are.
3. He has a purpose for us.

When Caleb was a youngster, his favourite jersey was one that was hand-knitted by my Aunty Sandy, who with beautiful skill and a heart full of love, knitted his name and a beautiful pattern into the jersey.
Compared to a mass-produced, one-of-many, off-the-shelf commercial jerseys?
NO CONTEST.

You are unique. Lovingly knit together. Your life has purpose.