Friday, March 8, 2019

EmmDev 2019-03-07 [Lent2019] Ash and Oil


Ash and Oil

Our Ash Wednesday started on a tough note. We woke up to find that we had been burgled in the night. Only two phones were stolen. No-one was hurt and we are not too rattled by the incident. But the day was swallowed up with the aftermath of police reports, fingerprints and blocking phones etc.

It made me think a lot about Ash Wednesday though...

On Ash Wednesday we mix ash and oil and make the sign of the cross on our foreheads.

Ash reminds us of our mortality and is a sign of sorrow & repentance.
Oil is the symbol of Healing, Comfort, Blessing and Celebration.
And the Cross is the place of suffering.

These symbols were very prominent for me as we navigated yesterday.

I thought about Ash as I processed the brokenness of society (crime and violence), as I heard a friend's painful story of disappointment and betrayal, and recognised my own impatience when trying to arrange replacement phones etc.

I thought about Oil (the symbol of God's tender Holy Spirit) as I received comfort, calm, wisdom and inspiration throughout the day. As I was able to push the bully of fear aside and recognise God's hand in a chance encounter with an old friend and the encouraging conversation we had.

Lent is about preparing to contemplate the wonder of the Cross.
Lent is about opening our hearts anew and afresh to God.

King David failed badly and sinned horribly.
As he drew near to God, he did so with sincere remorse, but also great hope. He believed that Ash would be combined with Oil to bring healing. While he feared that his sin was grounds to be cast out of God's presence, he believed that God could change his heart and transform his life. As we look forward to Easter, we think of the One who was cast off and forsaken in our place so David and you and me could be made whole.

May this passage from Psalm 51 be our Lent prayer:

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.      (Psalms51:10-12)