Thursday, March 28, 2019

EmmDev 2019-03-28 [Lent2019] Examen 3: God knows best

Examen 3: God knows best

The next portion of Psalm 139 reminds us that we are personally and intimately created by God. He knits and weaves the double-helix of our DNA and the fibres of our muscles. He forms our natures and personalities in a secret place (indicating the devotion and intimacy He brings to the task). He has a future and a plan in mind for us that is just waiting for us to grab hold of.

On this third day of our Examen let us reflect on this incredible truth: God designed us. He knows what makes us tick. He designed us with a purpose in mind. We are His inventions and as with all inventions, the best way to use an invented object correctly is to ask the Inventor!

But we don't! The Psalmist has had to come to grips with being known intimately and pursued with relentless love before he finally comes to admit that God may very well know what is best.

Very often I think I know what is best. I think that I can make my decisions and guide my life. I draw up pros and cons lists and I justify my decisions. Other times I let my opinion be formed by society: "Everyone does it," or "You've earned it," or "It's your right."

The psalm reminds us that we are not accidents or assembly-line products. We are intimately, personally and uniquely made. And our Maker knows what is best for us in the long run.

So here's the challenge:
When last have you admitted that "God knows best" and been willing to submit to Him and ask for His guidance. Or are your goals, ambitions and the direction your life is taking dictated by your own will or the opinions of society?

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.      (Psalms139:13-16)