Friday, September 4, 2020

EmmDev 2020-09-04 [Walk between the Lines] Attitude


Attitude

The third letter of the Hebrew alphabet is Gimel. Gimel looks like a camel rising from its knees and the letter is seen as a symbol of willfulness or pride.

Arrogance and willfulness are temptations for us as human beings. Especially when we gain knowledge or experience success. Arrogant people often see God's law as a limitation, but the Psalmist sees God's law as a source of guidance and counsel.

The Psalmist is committed to living "between the lines". He chooses the posture of a life-long student ("Open my eyes that I may see the wonderful things in your law.")

He realises that God's law is the "safe space" in which he can move. Choosing to live a disciplined and principled life protects him from pride and God's statues are the "measuring stick" that he uses to guide his life.

It's all in the attitude:
The Psalmist doesn't see God's Word as a set of limiting rules, instead He sees God's Word as
- a source of wonder (v.18)
- a companion and guide (v.19) for a stranger
- the satisfaction of his restless soul's longing (v.20)
- the perspective that keeps him from falling into pitfalls (v.22-23)
- his source of wisdom and guidance (v.24)

Camels are notorious for their willfulness and stubbornness - human beings can be the same. Adopting the posture of a life-long student who has much to learn from the wealth of God's word can keep us safe from the way of the camel.

17 Do good to your servant, and I will live;
I will obey your word.
18 Open my eyes that I may see
wonderful things in your law.
19 I am a stranger on earth;
do not hide your commands from me.
20 My soul is consumed with longing
for your laws at all times.
21 You rebuke the arrogant, who are cursed
and who stray from your commands.
22 Remove from me scorn and contempt,
for I keep your statutes.
23 Though rulers sit together and slander me,
your servant will meditate on your decrees.
24 Your statutes are my delight;
they are my counselors.      (Psalms119:17-24)