Wednesday, September 16, 2020

EmmDev 2020-09-16 [Walk between the Lines] Comfort


Comfort

The seventh letter is Zayin which represents a sword or axe which cuts and pierces. This makes us think of Hebrews 4:12: "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
But it also reminds us of a broken world that cuts and pierces us.

This strophe explores the reality of suffering and brokenness in the world. The Psalmist is thinking about suffering, about the arrogant who mock without restraint and the wicked who have forsaken the law.

The Scriptures are his weapon to pierce the brokenness and they are his comfort when he is threatened.

For the Psalmist the Bible is not just a source of academic knowledge. He finds comfort in the Scriptures. Scripture abounds with the promises of God that apply to the good and difficult times of our lives.

But The Bible is not a book of spells to ward off evil. It is not a collection of incantations to ensure good fortune. It is not a self-help tool that gives you eleventeen tips to a happy life.

The Bible is a guide to a relationship with our Father God who loves us enough to give us the freedom of choice and places us in a world where our choices can make or break our lives and the lives of those around us. But He also loves us too much to leave us simply at the mercy of our choices and so He is present in our joys and our heartaches with comfort, strength, guidance and the awesome power that transforms the gloom of Crucifixion Friday to the glory of Resurrection Sunday.

The psalmist has not been sheltered from suffering. He has experienced the reality of tragedy and evil and he has found himself in need of comfort:
- Comfort that he is not alone.
- Comfort that trouble will not endure forever.
- Comfort that the scales will be balanced.
- Comfort in that he can find a way out of trouble.
- Comfort that trouble does not have to scar him.
- Comfort that all of heaven is behind him working out God's perfect plan.

Fortunately he knows where comfort is to be found: in the tried-and-tested truth and wisdom of the Scriptures.

My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life.
The arrogant mock me without restraint
but I do not turn from Your law
I remember Your ancient laws, O LORD
and I find comfort in them.
Indignation grips me because of the wicked,
who have forsaken your law.
Your decrees are the theme of my song
wherever I lodge.
In the night I remember your name, O LORD,
and I will keep your law.
This has been my practice:
I obey your precepts.      (Psalms119:50-56)