Tuesday, September 15, 2020

EmmDev 2020-09-15 [Walk between the Lines] Credible


Credible

The sixth letter, "Vaw", is shaped like a nail or a hook. It appears very often in the OT because it is used to the form the word "and".
As such, this letter literally joins things and events together. It is this sense of binding and securing that is evident in this strophe of the Psalm...

Wisdom is a rare commodity. Some say that wisdom only comes with age and experience, but the psalmist argues that a solid foundation in Biblical Truth can give one credibility in the presence of significant people - even kings.

When we read Scripture regularly and prayerfully, we will find the balance and wisdom that we need. We will find that our priorities are realigned, we will get our picture of God clear again, our own sense of "I-am-frail-yet-valued-by-God" will be affirmed, and we learn from the experience of others in Scripture.

Paul puts it well when he writes "For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." (Rom15:4)

Not only should we read the Bible on our own, but we should seek to place ourselves in contexts where we can learn more about Scripture. Church and Bible Studies are good places to start.

But a warning is a appropriate here: collecting facts and knowledge about the Bible isn't enough. Academic study is not sufficient: Good Bible Study is a dialogue: God speaks through the Bible and we must answer with our lives.

When we obtain wisdom from God's Word we can
- experience God's love and salvation through His promises.
- answer those who taunt us.
- walk about in the freedom of His precepts that guide us.
- stand before kings and not be put to shame.

May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD,
your salvation according to your promise;
then I will answer the one who taunts me,
for I trust in your word.
Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth,
for I have put my hope in your laws.
I will always obey your law, for ever and ever.
I will walk about in freedom,
for I have sought out your precepts.
I will speak of your statutes before kings
and will not be put to shame      (Psalms119:41-46)