Thursday, September 17, 2020

EmmDev 2020-09-17 [Walk between the Lines] Considered


Considered

In the eighth stanza, our line-starting letter is "Cheth" which represents a closed system: a fence, an inner-room or chamber that separates, cuts off or protects...

Many people think that rules constrict, but they can often provide a safe space in which one can play and work without fear.   The best analogy of this is of the dad who didn't know the rules of soccer well, but had to take over his son's practice when the coach was late. He didn't demarcate the teams and goals well, he didn't have a whistle and couldn't control the game. Soon it became a frantic free for all with little boys who progressively got angry and miserable. Then the coach arrived, and when he applied the rules and boundaries, the boys had a wonderful time...

Today's stanza gives a picture of a life happily lived in the safe space of God's guidance and provisions.

The Psalmist starts off by affirming that he is not a legalist, but that God is His portion and that he will seek God's face with all his heart. He does, however, understand that God's ways are found His laws and statutes.

And so he does the important thing: He considers his ways in the light of God's statutes and this defines his priorities and his relationships.

Life is too precious to rush through unconsidered. Throughout ages and cultures, wise people have commented that it is really important for us to "consider our ways." When we fail to reflect on life's meaning and purpose, we run the risk of a life that lacks depth.

But reflection on its own can be a very self-centered, self-referencing and ego-based exercise. That is why the psalmist's reflection leads him to "turn his steps" to the principles and values of God's Law.

For our lives to have real value and impact we need to consider our ways. The Scriptures give us a safe space within which we can play...

You are my portion, O LORD;
I have promised to obey your words.
I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
I have considered my ways
and have turned my steps to your statutes.
I will hasten and not delay
to obey your commands.

Though the wicked bind me with ropes,
I will not forget your law.
At midnight I rise to give you thanks
for your righteous laws.
I am a friend to all who fear you,
to all who follow your precepts.
The earth is filled with your love, O LORD;
teach me your decrees.      (Psalms119:57-64)