Friday, September 11, 2020

EmmDev 2020-09-11 [Walk between the Lines] A Bible Reading Prayer


A Bible Reading Prayer

The letter "He" looks like a house with an open window. The letter implies "showing" and "revealing" or "to behold." It is then quite fitting that the Psalmist prays for understanding, direction and a teachable and "turnable" heart.

This stanza reminds us that the Bible is best read prayerfully asking God to reveal Himself through the window of His Word.

There are attitudes that can benefit or detract from our Bible reading experience. The Holy Spirit is able to assist us as we read.

The couple of verses that we look at today constitute a very valuable prayer to pray whenever we read the Bible.

I've paraphrased them as follows:

  1. Give me a teachable heart so that I am willing to learn from the Bible AND put it in practice!
  2. Give me the understanding I need to practice what I read. We need help to interpret David and Goliath or the parable of the seed and sower in the light of our situations.
  3. As I read direct me so that I see what You want me to see and do, because I know that will be best for me.
  4. Give me a compliant heart because I am so tempted toward my own selfish agenda.
  5. Keep me from the distraction of that which is passing and let me build my life on the real values of Your Word.

It's very helpful to pray something along these lines before we read the Bible each day!

Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees;
then I will keep them to the end.
34 Give me understanding, and I will keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.
35 Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.
36 Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.
37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.      (Psalms119:33-37)