Friday, September 25, 2020

EmmDev 2020-09-25 [Walk between the Lines] Motive


Motive

The 11th stanza has lines starting with the letter "Kaph" which looks like a cupped palm on its side or like a wing. It is associated with "allow" (open palm), "cover" (think of angels who cover themselves with their wings) it can imply the "power to suppress" (a closing hand) or the power to lift up.

In this stanza the Psalmist recalls a great time of struggle. He has arrogant enemies who have almost wiped him out, his soul faints and his eyes fail looking for God's deliverance and he has had to endure much: "They almost wiped me from the earth, but I have not forsaken your precepts."

Why has he remained faithful in all this trouble?
Why is God's Word so important to him?
Our key verse (88) provides the answer:
He has absolute hope in the love of God.

Some people obey God's Word out of fear of judgement. Others obey God's Word to "earn the right" to blessings on the basis of "Good Behaviour." The psalmist has a better balance: His allegiance to God's Word is a response to the certainty and comfort of God's love. This is the right motive for Bible-study and the right motive for Bible-obedience. Not fear, not bargaining, but a response to great love.

In the midst of his suffering, the psalmist is hopeFULL and certain of God's love that is great enough to carry him through his ordeal. Because of this comfort (which God's Word reminds us of all the time), the psalmist is hopeful, thankful and responsive to God's Word.

Why do you read the Bible?
Out of fear?
An attempt to twist His arm with good behaviour?
Because of a guilty conscience?
The best reason to read the Bible is because it helps you to grow in your understanding of the awesome the God who gave His Son to die for you.


My soul faints with longing for your salvation,
but I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes fail, looking for your promise;
I say, "When will you comfort me?"
Though I am like a wineskin in the smoke,
I do not forget your decrees.
How long must your servant wait?
When will you punish my persecutors?
The arrogant dig pitfalls for me,
contrary to your law.
All your commands are trustworthy;
help me, for men persecute me without cause.
They almost wiped me from the earth,
but I have not forsaken your precepts.
Preserve my life according to your love,
and I will obey the statutes of your mouth.      (Psalms119:81-88)