Friday, November 6, 2020

EmmDev 2020-11-03 [Walk between the Lines] Shepherded by God's guidelines

Hi Everyone

Two things:

1. Apologies for the break in devotions - it has taken me a while to change gear.
I hope you enjoyed the month of mission devotions.

2. We return to our series on Psalm 119 where each stanza has 8 verses starting with the next letter in the Hebrew Alphabet. We started with Alef and we are now all the way through to "Lamed". Visually, Lamed looks a bit like a shepherd's crook. The letter is associated with the work of a shepherd: controlling, prodding, urging and protecting, but it also refers to the verbal aspects of shepherd-like nurturing: Teaching and Learning.

Shepherded by God's guidelines

In a world where change just seems to happen faster and faster and faster, we need some constants. God's Word and God's Faithfulness are our constants. We are guided by God's precepts and preserved by His law.

Even in affliction and the attack of the wicked, the Psalmist finds comfort and support in God's Word.

Look at his approach to God's word.
He has delighted in God's Law.
He has not forgotten but sought out God's precepts.
He will ponder God's statutes.

If we bear the Lamed shepherding image in mind then the words "Law", "Precepts" and "Statutes" are helpful because they imply the guidance that God's Word provides.

There are two lines that grab me:

  1. "If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction." (The implication is that a deep foundation in God's Word will sustain one through trouble.)
  2. "To all perfection I see a limit; but your commands are boundless." (There are many voices and many theories and some very clever people out there - but ultimate truth comes from God's Word.)

So this strophe reminds us of the eternal faithfulness of God and urges us to be teachable so that His Word can shepherd our souls...

Your word, O LORD, is eternal;
it stands firm in the heavens.
90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations;
you established the earth, and it endures.
91 Your laws endure to this day,
for all things serve you.
92 If your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my affliction.
93 I will never forget your precepts,
for by them you have preserved my life.
94 Save me, for I am yours;
I have sought out your precepts.
95 The wicked are waiting to destroy me,
but I will ponder your statutes.
96 To all perfection I see a limit;
but your commands are boundless.      (Psalms119:89-96)