Thursday, November 26, 2020

EmmDev 2020-11-26 [Walk between the Lines]


Completely Devoted

Today we get two letters for the price of one... Depending on whether you put a dot above the left or right "arm" of this letter, you get an "s"(sin) or a "sh"(shin) sound. This partially accounts for the very wide range of associations for this letter which are teeth, ivory, the point of a rock, a peak, devour, consume, destroy, sharp or El Shaddai (which is one of the Hebrew titles for God - "Lord of the Armies/Multitude").

There aren't any solid or obvious links to the meanings of shin/sin and shin except maybe to say that he starts with the "teeth" (those who persecute him) and he turns to the Law which is the "rock" or "peak" for him. He then "devours" the Law (loves the law and praises seven times a day) and he ends with the idea that all his ways are known to the Lord.

But I have to say that this feels a little forced...

What does come through very clearly is his affection/devotion/love for God's Word and the joy and peace he gets from it.
Here are just a few of his phrases:
- I rejoice in your promise like one who finds great spoil.
- I love your law.
- Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws.
- Great peace have they who love your law,
- I obey your statutes, for I love them greatly.
- I obey your precepts and your statutes

And all this in the face of trouble and hardship...

May we, in these challenging times, read God's Word with more joy and delight than ever.

Rulers persecute me without cause,
but my heart trembles at your word.
162 I rejoice in your promise
like one who finds great spoil.
163 I hate and abhor falsehood
but I love your law.
164 Seven times a day I praise you
for your righteous laws.
165 Great peace have they who love your law,
and nothing can make them stumble.
166 I wait for your salvation, O LORD,
and I follow your commands.
167 I obey your statutes,
for I love them greatly.
168 I obey your precepts and your statutes,
for all my ways are known to you.      (Psalms119:162-168)