Thursday, November 12, 2020

EmmDev 2020-11-12 [Walk between the Lines] Spreading, Action and Heritage


Spreading, Action and Heritage

The letter "Nun", which starts the first words of each line in our next Psalm 119 strophe, has a variety of associations and meanings: "A fish, to sprout, to spread, offspring, descendant, action, life, heir to the throne and faithfulness."

Today's strophe displays similarly diverse thoughts...

Spreading:
Verses 105, 110 and 112 have the idea of spreading: In v.110 the wicked give/spread a net or snare. But in v.105 God's word is a lamp ("neir") that spreads light for our feet. The important principle is that if we want to see further, we have to take some steps... But when he does, we see in verse 112 that his heart is stretched out (set) on keeping God's laws...

Actions:
Verses 106-108 are about actions: Even though he has "suffered much", he has "taken an oath" and offers the "willing praise" of his mouth".

Heritage:
In verse 111 we have the idea that God's Word is his heritage and what he will pass on to his descendants...

Can you think of times that God's Word has spread out light to your feet and kept your from the snares spread out before you?
Or were that there times that, even though you have suffered, God's Word inspired you to keep your vows or to offer praise?

105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light for my path.
106 I have taken an oath and confirmed it,
that I will follow your righteous laws.
107 I have suffered much;
preserve my life, O LORD, according to your word.
108 Accept, O LORD, the willing praise of my mouth,
and teach me your laws.
109 Though I constantly take my life in my hands,
I will not forget your law.
110 The wicked have set a snare for me,
but I have not strayed from your precepts.
111 Your statutes are my heritage forever;
they are the joy of my heart.
112 My heart is set on keeping your decrees
to the very end.      (Psalms119:105-112)