Tuesday, November 24, 2020

EmmDev 2020-11-24 [Walk between the Lines] See


See

The letter "Reysh", has to do with the head. Whereas the preceding letter "Qoph" is about what is in the "back-of-mind" "Resch" is about what's "top-of-mind", most important, highest and chief of all.

There are three things that are striking in this strophe:

  1. There is a very real connection, not only to the Word of God, but more importantly, to the God of the Word. Here in this "chief" stanza, the Psalmist turns to the Lord in his trouble, describes God as great in compassion and declares his fealty to Him.
  2. The verb Ra-ah ("See/Perceive) appears three times.
    - He asks God to see his situation. (v.153)
    - He looks on the faithless with loathing (v.158)
    - He asks "See my love for your precepts" (v.159)
  3. The final line is the crescendo: The "head/top/chief" of God's Word is truth and that His laws are eternal...

This strophe reveals the balance the Psalmist has. It is not only legalism, but relationship, but in this relationship he understands that God's Word is Truth and that his own life has to be conformed accordingly.

This allows him, not only to call on God in the midst of trouble, but also gives him a meaningful life to live.

Look upon my suffering and deliver me,
for I have not forgotten your law.
154 Defend my cause and redeem me;
preserve my life according to your promise.
155 Salvation is far from the wicked,
for they do not seek out your decrees.
156 Your compassion is great, O LORD;
preserve my life according to your laws.
157 Many are the foes who persecute me,
but I have not turned from your statutes.
158 I look on the faithless with loathing,
for they do not obey your word.
159 See how I love your precepts;
preserve my life, O LORD, according to your love.
160 All your words are true;
all your righteous laws are eternal.
      (Psalms119:153-160)