Wednesday, November 18, 2020

EmmDev 2020-11-18 [Walk between the Lines] Prayer after reading


Prayer after reading

The letter for this stanza is "Peh" and traditionally it has represented a mouth, an opening, an entrance with the idea of speaking, opening and beginning but it can also imply the present "here and now..."

This is a very wide range of meanings!

The stanza gives one the feeling that the Psalmist has reflected on God's Word and is now praying for help to put it all into practice...

He starts off by recognising that God's Word gives light and understanding (v129,130) and then describes something I have become familiar with: The more we read God's Word the more we want it.

The psalmist describes it as panting, but it is not like the stamps that pimps coat with narcotics so that kids become addicts unwittingly, but rather a conscious voluntary longing. The Psalmist reads and knows that the experience is good and longs for more.

Here we have what I like to call his "prayer after reading"

  • Have mercy on me: Scripture reveals that God alone can save us.
  • Direct my footsteps: The Word has shown the way, let me walk in it.
  • Let no sin rule over me: Someone said "This Book will keep you from sin, but sin will keep you from this Book"
  • Redeem me from the oppression of men: Resistance from men can discourage us greatly
  • Make Your face shine on me: I struggle to stay motivated, please reassure me of Your presence and empowering.

The stanza ends a picture of how his soul has been transformed. The law isn't external anymore - it's in his heart - and his heart breaks when God's law is disobeyed.

Your statutes are wonderful;
therefore I obey them.
130 The unfolding of your words gives light;
it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant,
longing for your commands.
132 Turn to me and have mercy on me,
as you always do to those who love your name.
133 Direct my footsteps according to your word;
let no sin rule over me.
134 Redeem me from the oppression of men,
that I may obey your precepts.
135 Make your face shine upon your servant
and teach me your decrees.
136 Streams of tears flow from my eyes,
for your law is not obeyed.      (Psalms119:129-136)