Tuesday, November 17, 2020

EmmDev 2020-11-17 [Walk between the Lines] Seeing and Understanding


Seeing and Understanding

In this stanza (vv121-128) the lines start with the letter "Ayin" which is associated to the eye, seeing, looking, appearing, understanding and experiencing.

The Psalmist speaks about those who are oppressing him and about the temptation to walk a wrong path. The situation is getting desperate: His eyes are failing as he is looking for God's salvation and he is longing for God's promise.

In these desperate situations we often lose clarity and direction. Our ability to discern is often impeded and we can make poor judgement calls. So the psalmist sorts out his attitude and prays for discernment.

The attitude adjustment is to remind himself that he is a servant. -Servants don't demand their rights.
-Servants don't always get to see the full picture.
-Servants need to trust the Master.
-Servants are ready to respond obediently.
-Servants aren't too stuck up about their dignity and their egos.

With the attitude sorted out, he prays for discernment:
-The ability to apply Scripture's wisdom to day to day life.
-The ability to see between right and wrong.
-The sensitivity to suss out motives and agendas.
-Discernment grows through good exposure to Scripture.

The end result?
vs: 128 Because I consider all Your precepts right, I hate every wrong path.

I have done what is righteous and just;
do not leave me to my oppressors.
122 Ensure your servant's well-being;
let not the arrogant oppress me.
123 My eyes fail, looking for your salvation,
looking for your righteous promise.
124 Deal with your servant according to your love
and teach me your decrees.
125 I am your servant; give me discernment
that I may understand your statutes.
126 It is time for you to act, O LORD;
your law is being broken.
127 Because I love your commands
more than gold, more than pure gold,
128 and because I consider all your precepts right,
I hate every wrong path.      (Psalms119:121-128)