Wednesday, November 11, 2020

EmmDev 2020-11-11 [Walk between the Lines] Respect


Respect

Today we're at the letter "Mem" which is associated with large bodies of water or as a source or flow of water (like a stream from a spring).

With regard to meaning of the verses, this strophe has been hard to connect the letter Mem but there were two thoughts that occurred to me... Firstly, from a young age I have loved the sea, but my dad taught me also to have deep respect for it. You could play in its waters, but it could also drag you away. Secondly, we have a modern saying that describes the experience of abundant knowledge or teaching - we say "It feels like we're drinking from a firehose."

I wonder if the Psalmist wasn't feeling like God's Word was a massive mighty ocean which needed to be handled with great respect, but that it was like a strong stream gushing from an abundant stream. Even visually, "Mem" looks like a big dam with a small outlet... (Imagine the pressure of that stream...)

Look at some of the phrases in this strophe:
- I love your law - I meditate on it all day long (Abundance)
- Your commands make me wiser/give me more insight) (Strong stream)
- I have kept my feet... I have not departed (Deep Respect)
- Sweet Honey ... (Nourishing stream)
- Gain Understanding yet hate wrong paths (Stream and Respect)

Read through the strophe for yourself imagining the ocean and an abundant stream/firehose...

Oh, how I love your law!
I meditate on it all day long.
Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
for they are ever with me.
I have more insight than all my teachers,
for I meditate on your statutes.
I have more understanding than the elders,
for I obey your precepts.
I have kept my feet from every evil path
so that I might obey your word.
I have not departed from your laws,
for you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!
I gain understanding from your precepts;
therefore I hate every wrong path.      (Psalms119:97-104)