Friday, November 20, 2020

EmmDev 2020-11-20 [Walk between the Lines] Always on my mind...


Always on my mind...

The next two letters of the Hebrew alphabet both have to do with the head. One might even say that today's letter ("Qoph") is about what is in the "back-of-mind" and that the next letter ("Resch") is about what's "top-of-mind".

Look at the settings/contexts described in this strophe:
- When he calls out to the Lord
- Before dawn
- In the watches of the night
- When the wicked are near
- Since long ago

And what does he do in these settings?
- He obeys wholeheartedly
- He keeps God's statutes
- He meditates on God's promises
- He's confident that God's Law will preserve His life
- He believes that God's Word is trustworthy and true.

And all of this happens in a very relational way. It isn't sterile legalism but it's as though the beauty of God's Law assures the Psalmist of God's character. He calls out to God throughout this strophe and hopes in Him and experiences God's nearness through His Word.

All of this because the Psalmist has God's Word as part of his life. He thinks about God throughout the day and meditates on God's promises.

May we so commune with God's Word that it will always be part of our life and in our minds...

I call with all my heart; answer me, O LORD,
and I will obey your decrees.
146 I call out to you; save me
and I will keep your statutes.
147 I rise before dawn and cry for help;
I have put my hope in your word.
148 My eyes stay open through the watches of the night,
that I may meditate on your promises.
149 Hear my voice in accordance with your love;
preserve my life, O LORD, according to your laws.
150 Those who devise wicked schemes are near,
but they are far from your law.
151 Yet you are near, O LORD,
and all your commands are true.
152 Long ago I learned from your statutes
that you established them to last forever.      (Psalms119:145-152)